Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write it on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the devotion or pray a personal one.
May is devoted to Mary, Queen of Heaven, providing an opportunity to focus on our relationship with the Holy Mother of Christ. We each relate to Our Holy Mother Mary differently because we relate to our earthly mothers in unique ways. As our mother, Mary has much to teach usand endless love to give.
Marian Feast Days In May Include:
While dying on the cross for us, Jesus Christ did not forget us or his mother. He tells Mother Mary in John 19:26, “Woman, here is your son.” In the next verse (John 19:27), Jesus tells the disciple John, “Here is your mother.” Since the time of the apostles and early church fathers, Catholics have believed that this passage is not merely Jesus making sure someone is taking care of His mother. That practicality would’ve been arranged much earlier, having known His time was coming, or been taken care of afterward by His devoted followers, who would not abandon her. This exchange means Jesus gave us His mother as our mother and us to her as her children.
Let’s not neglect this momentous gift of maternal love. We might have varying relationships with her, but we should all seek strong connections with her. If you have a troubled relationship with her, check out our post about it!
Reflection Questions For May:
- What images of Mary speaks to you most? It could be a statue, painting, icon, or other Marian representation.
- Have you ever struggled with or neglected your relationship with Mary?
- How do defend the Marian Dogmas of our faith, such as the Immaculate Conception, Perpetual Virginity, Mother of God, or Assumption?
- What virtue of Mary do you aspire to imitate most in your life dedicated to Christ?
- When was the last time you spoke with another about your love of Mary?
- How do mothers in your life, both physical and spiritual, remind you of Mary?
Pray the Rosary every daythis month or try to memorize the Magnificat (https://catholic-link.org/magnificat-mary-intercessory-love/) by praying with the Blessed Virgin Mary daily, and choose at least one Marian feast day this month to celebrate. Remember in your most difficult moments that Our Father gave us Mary to help us.
May Feast Days
Books About Mary