Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Sacred Heart Catholic Church
2508 Appleby Sand Road
Nacogdoches , TX. 75965

A Brief History Of Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Spanish missionaries already served the Nacogdoches area as early as 1716, but the Right Reverend John M. Odin, D.D. established the first parish of Sacred Heart in 1847 with funds raised by Father A. Chanrion.  This wooden structure stood for ninety years on North Pecan Street.

Through funds provided by Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Phelan and property donated by Mrs. C. C. (Louise) Rhein, Father Francis P. Crane had a new church building constructed on the corner of North Street and Mimms Avenue in April of 1936.

On April 26, 1937, carpenters dismantled the old Sacred Heart Church building on Pecan Street.  They transported the lumber ten miles down the Old Lufkin Road to Fern Lake for the construction of St. Ann's Chapel.  St. Ann's was completed on June 16, 1951, where it served as a chapel until 1983.  The old building is now located on the grounds of Sacred Heart in Nacogdoches.  The building is being restored and we expect to have it rededicated later in 2013.

In 1985, the Most Reverend Bernard J. Ganter, D.D., approved the purchase of land for the current church building.   Under the leadership of Reverend James E. Young, the dream of a new parish church building became a reality.  A groundbreaking ceremony was held on March 17, 1991.  The building was completed in 1992, and a dedication Mass was held on June 26, 1992.  The present Sacred Heart Catholic Church is located at 2508 Appleby Sand Road in Nacogdoches, TX.